Flea & Tick – The Big Questions & Answers
Parasites feed on the blood of a host animal…by definition, not normally a good thing. And definitely not good when the parasitic pests are fleas and ticks feasting on your pets’ blood. They bring disease and discomfort in differing degrees of severity, even leading to death in drastic cases. Making it absolutely necessary to know the Four Ws (and an H) of flea and tick prevention.
When is flea and tick season?
- Year-round depending upon climate.
- Particularly worse in warm, humid weather.
- Late spring and early summer are peak times.
Where do fleas and ticks live?
- Worldwide, in all types of geographies.
- Shady areas under leaves or tall grasses.
- Carried by wild animal hosts like deer, foxes and rodents.
- Fleas jump onto your pets while ticks migrate from host to host.
- Flea eggs can be laid and borne indoors.
Why is prevention important?
- Ticks carry Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasmosis among other diseases.
- Fleas carry murine typhus, flea-borne spotted fever, cat-scratch disease (Bartonella), and flea tapeworms.
- Other issues can include anemia, skin irritation and hot spots.
How do I know a problem exists?
- Run a flea comb through your pet’s coat.
- Look for presence of adult fleas or brown/black ‘flea dirt’ (flea feces).
- Fleas spread but congregate around your pet’s head, neck, tail, belly and butt.
- Ticks can be anywhere; often found hiding in ears, paws and armpits.
- Skin irritation may be sign of prior presence and still warrants treatment.
What to use to prevent or address a pest problem?
- Earth Animal collars infused with a natural blend of aromatic herbs and essential oils to kill and repel pests from your pet’s coat.
- Earth Animal internal powder changes the odor of your pet’s blood so that pests dislike the scent and taste of the blood.
- Kin + Kind shampoo eliminates active infestations with natural essential oils. - Pure and Natural wipes are DEET Free and made with skin-soothing Cedarwood and Peppermint Oil.
- Wondercide Pet + Home spray is a curiously effective, natural alternative to chemical pesticides for use on dogs, cats & home interiors.
- Tick Key to remove entire tick (but you may still want to consider seeing a vet).