You know fleas and ticks are bad. That’s not news. But do you know why? And where they hide? And when they come out? Let’s do a Q&A on F&T.
What is so bad about fleas and ticks?
- These tiny, almost-invisible pests have a vicious cycle of biting and scratching
- They are parasites that survive by ingesting the blood of warm-blooded hosts like cats, dogs, and humans
- Bites can lead to skin irritation and disease like Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever (ticks) and cat-scratch disease and tapeworms (fleas)
When is flea and tick season?
- Year-round depending upon climate.
- Particularly worse in warm, humid weather.
- Late spring and early summer are peak times in the United States.
Where do fleas and ticks live?
- Flea eggs can be laid and borne indoors, then hide in carpet, bedding and cracks in floors.
- Outdoors they live in areas that have a lot of weeds, grass, or piled debris.
- Ticks flourish in shady areas, under leaves or tall grasses
- Both are carried by wild animal hosts like deer, foxes and rodents before transferring to pets and people.
What can you do to protect your home?
- Vacuum on a regular basis, as fleas will hide in your carpet while waiting for a pet to feed off of.
- Change your pet’s bedding as frequently as possible to protect your pet while they are at rest.
- Wash your bedding in the hottest water allowable by the manufacturer
How do I tell if my pet may have fleas or ticks?
- Run a flea comb through your pet’s coat.
- Look for presence of adult fleas or brown/black ‘flea dirt’ (flea feces).
- When moistened on a tissue, flea dirt will turn the towel red (from ingested blood).
- Check for embedded pests around your pet's ears, between paws, in armpits, skin folds, and at the base of their tail
- Watch for excessive licking, biting or scratching to soothe irritated areas or bumps and scabs where bites have occurred.
What products can prevent or remedy a pest problem?
- Collars infused with a natural blend of aromatic herbs and essential oils to kill and repel pests from your pet’s coat.
- Internal Powder changes the odor of your pet’s blood so that pests dislike the scent and taste of the blood.
- Shampoo eliminates active infestations with natural essential oils.
- Repel Spray uses vet-formulated and vet-approved plant-based ingredients in a certified USDA organic manufacturing facility.
PURE & NATURAL PET
- Wipes are DEET Free and made with skin-soothing cedarwood and peppermint oil.
- Flea & Tick Spray combines cedar, rosemary and peppermint oil to repel fleas, ticks and mosquitoes while soothing and aiding skin irritations.
- Pet + Home Spray is a curiously effective, natural alternative to chemical pesticides for use on dogs, cats & home interiors.
- Yard + Garden Spray is a ready-to-use solution that repels and kills fleas, ticks and hundreds of other pests while being safe for beneficial insects.
- Dog + Home Spray contains potent pest-fighting ingredients to kill fleas and ticks by contact (including larvae and eggs) and repel mosquitos.
- Yard Spray repels for up to 2 weeks when used as directed in an area up to 5,000 sq. feet.
- Flea Combs control fleas and larvae and identify skin and coat problems.